Jobo Designs

Letting the crafty creative juices flow. Knitting, spinning, crafting, dyeing, rabbits, sheep and more!

9. September 2010 08:30
by Jobo
2 Comments

Chiengora "One-Skein" Hat

9. September 2010 08:30 by Jobo | 2 Comments

Having completed one skein of yarn from my Alaskan-Malamute-Challenge over the past weekend... I decided to get started on the goods!  The completed skein had somewhere between 100 - 125 yards, which as I suspected was more than enough to make the hat.

husky hat 2I chose to use the Noro spiral one-skein hat by Manuèle Ducret  - which is a simple free pattern, graciously offered by Manuèle over on her website.  I thought it might be a complicated knit, but was surprised and delighted by the simplicity of it all.  I decided to work at my own gauge though, and cast on in multiples of 8 until I was pleased with the size of the cuff.  I think I settled on 104 sts in the end.  I'll have to measure the needles I used, because honestly I just grabbed a pair that "looked" appropriate in size for the yarn.  Sometimes eyeballing it *does* work for me!

The Hat itself is quite fuzzy, with a light soft grey halo.  I've been quite surprised with how soft the dog fur yarn actually is!  The dog's owner was considering having the hat lined with some sort of soft wool (maybe angora or alpaca) but I don't think the hat will really need it.  Just wearing it around the house for photos, my head was toasty warm, almost to the point of being uncomfortably warm!  I'll have to run it by her, but I think she will be pleased with it as it is. 

Next - More picking and carding up another basket of chiengora and wool ("Chiengora" is the posh name for Dog Fur Wool) and then spinning up another skein to get started on the cowl and mittens.  My head is just spinning with all of the possibilities :)

8. September 2010 08:00
by Jobo
1 Comments

Spinning Alaskan Malamute... Making Progress

8. September 2010 08:00 by Jobo | 1 Comments

ball of malamute yarnI finally have enough yarn spun to make the hat... I think!  Things have been crazy around our house the last few weeks with a friend's wedding, and a few unforeseen events ("Earl" and some impromptu home renos) and I was feeling like I really wasn't making enough progress on my commissioned projects.

<-- this is my latest skein... 50/50 Alaskan Malamute / Merino - approximately 125 yds somewhere between Sport and Worsted weight traditional 3-ply.

Samiah's owner and I had decided a few weeks ago on a slightly lacy texture for our hat/mitts/cowl set - using a common diagonal lace pattern as the cornerstone.  I found a few patterns that fit the description, but I will have to adapt them all in some way I think to make it all come together.  The cowl and hat are fairly straightforward, but I think the mittens will require the most tweaking of the bunch.

Either way, it feels good to be making a little progress.  After the skein was washed and hung to dry, I got my workstation ready:  Subject measurements, measuring tape, various sized needles, pattern examples, chocolate bar... and when the yarn was dry and skeined, I set out on the hat. 

More hat pictures later in the week :)  I've finished the cuff, and I'm already about 3 inches up into the main body of the hat!

Powered by BlogEngine.NET | Theme: Yoko by Elmastudio, adapted by onesoft

Top